pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Make Pivot JARs OSGi-compliant
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:47:03 GMT
On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Christopher Brind<brindy@brindy.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi Niclas,
>
> Just to be clear - I wasn't advocating using the PDE toolchain, I was
> talking about using the manifest editor only but concur with your comments
> about Bnd... and everything else. :)
>
> I've not used Bnd because I work in Eclipse and don't like to replicate the
> meta information in multiple places.  Eclipse's approach to bundle
> development is to store the meta information in a manifest file - which kind
> of makes sense to me!  So I can't see the pointing in maintaining that meta
> information in a format for Bnd as well.

One point; AFAIK, PDE doesn't generate the content that is needed for
the Manifest file. You have to manually enter things. Versions have a
tendency to be forgotten, and "uses" are so hard to figure out, that I
have not seen any PDE user put it in. And without the "uses"
directives, an accurate class space can not be created. Examples are
listed in chapter 3 of the OSGi spec under 'constraints' somewhere.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er