pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Make Pivot JARs OSGi-compliant
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:21:44 GMT
On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Christopher Brind<brindy@brindy.org.uk> wrote:
> For those who are interested the constraints that Niclas mentioned is in
> section 3.6.4 but that whole section is a really interesting read.
> http://www.osgi.org/download/r4v41/r4.core.pdf

An interesting read, but can be extremely overwhelming to grasp. I
think I took 3 or 4 passes of the whole class spaces section before I
got it.

> I never realised how much the Eclipse editor has dumbed down what can be
> (should be?) put in the manifest!  I will definitely be getting to grips
> with this stuff for future bundle work.

:-)  Yes, Eclipse isn't the 'best citizens' of OSGi world.

Go look at the Pax tools at http://wiki.ops4j.org to do decent
IDE-independent OSGi development.
For instance, Pax Runner even includes an Eclipse plugin (formerly
called Pax Cursor in separate project) that can run Eclipse RCP's
better than Eclipse itself, i.e. you can select and launch the RCP
under any of the supported frameworks (Felix, Knopflerfish, Equinox
and Concierge) in any version available of the selected framework.

Anyway, if you guys want to make Pivot OSGi-friendly, then I can help
you out quite a bit. But I will not have an opinion whether you should
or should not do it at all.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer