pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Sandro Martini <sandro.mart...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Idea for new Demo
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:01:11 GMT
Hi Greg,

> The HTTP protocol can provide this information for you. When you make an unauthenticated
request, the server will respond with a challenge indicating how the next request should be
authenticated.
Yes, you remember that for DigestAuthentication you have done a little
change in Query to support this ... but what I think is missing now is
a GenericAuthentication class (but I don't like this name, probably is
wrong) that tries to make a query without authentication info (and for
query without authentication this would be enough), and in case of
exception (because the server needs some authentication data for the
reply), it could create an instance of the right Authenticator
(depending on the type of needed authentication), and then retry the
query with the new data ...

This could be useful:
- for example anytime I try to access to data somewhere and I have no
prior knowledge of the authentication required
- we could also implement standard Pivot Dialogs to handle this common
behavior (if the user enable this in the instance of this class he
have in its application, because maybe I could use it without GUI ...
like in Unit Tests)
  -- but having this/these standard dialogs could be an optional feature
  -- and in any case it would be interesting to have inside this class
a property with the dialog to use (an instance of the standard, or a
user-defined dialog)

Greg, comments ?

I can try to do this, but before I'd like to ask others on what they
think ... Todd and others, what do you say ?

Sandro