pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: SWT APIs on top of Pivot for Web based tools
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 12:21:45 GMT
Hi Steve,

> It would be great if there was an implementation of SWT control APIs on top
> of Apache Pivot.
>
> This would enable developers to leverage the large body of existing
> Java/SWT/RCP/JFace/Draw2D/GEF/EclipsePlugin code.

This is an interesting idea. There would certainly be some implementation challenges (e.g.
how to deal with SWT's event loop, since Pivot doesn't have one - it uses AWT's under the
hood). Definitely worth some further thought and discussion, though.

> Developers could create web based versions of their tools (from the same
> code base as their desktop versions). They wouldn't have to rewrite Java
> into Flex/ActionScript, JavaFx, Silverlight, Ajax/Html/Javascript.
> Developers would be free to choose how to partition their java code between
> the applet portion and the app server portion.

>From our perspective, this is actually one of the major selling points of Pivot in general
- it allows you to streamline your technology stack and use Java from top to bottom (similar
to what Microsoft offers with Silverlight/.NET). I recognize that this doesn't meet the immediate
use case you describe (allowing developers to re-use existing SWT/RCP code), but let's look
at it from the reverse perspective - if we were to port Pivot to run natively on SWT, you
could write your RCP app or plugin using Pivot's APIs and ultimately reap the same benefits
you describe above.

Greg