pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Noel Grandin <noelgran...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Text validators
Date Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:37:38 GMT
I have no objection to adding some common validators - I'm a big fan of the
"comes with batteries" approach of projects like Python.

I prefer specific interfaces that do exactly one thing, rather than overly
general interfaces without type safety.

So if you want to add validation to a form, we should create a set of
interfaces and classes that implement that functionality.
I would be wary of baking too much functionality into it at first, because
different people have different ideas about how sophisticated the validation
should be
e.g
- should the messages be localisable
- how to display the validation icons, what different degrees of validation
are there
- are there tooltips
- do we display required indicators
- do we display overlay help text
- are error messages displayed in labels next to the fields, or in popups
over the form
- are error icons inside the field, tied to the edge/corner, or next to the
field

Some of these things can be made configurable by using Renderer API's, some
of them with options, but it's a lot more work than it initially looks like
:-)

Regards, Noel Grandin.