pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Bartlett <cbartlet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pivot-Shell
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 10:37:30 GMT
I like the general idea of providing some tooling to help with Pivot
development, but what about writing tools as Pivot apps, so that they
could also be used as reference applications?

Pivot is a UI toolkit so I think it would make more sense to use it to
provide non-CLI tools if they make sense.

On 6 September 2011 20:49, Sandro Martini <sandro.martini@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... and for example to run Tutorials and Demos as Standalone applications
> without having to deploy pivot wars in a local Tomcat.
> So for example the run application command could propose a list of candidate
> classes (maybe with the name without the default Pivot package for them, if
> unique).

There is a lot of very useful example code that many people might not
be aware of unless they download and use the Pivot source release, or
checkout from SVN.

A while ago I thought about creating a simple Pivot app to launch
demos and tutorials so that people could

It would just present the available demos/apps in a searchable way and
allow the user to double click to launch as a desktop (or script)
application.  There would be a link to where the source code could be
found (package & class names/svn directory/website url/whatever).  It
could even show the BXML & resource files, and show a screenshot of
the running app/demo.

My initial plan was for the app to scan jar files to find classes that
implement Application, and find BXML files whose root node was a
Window subclass that implements Bindable.  But if that information
could also be extracted as part of the build process and bundled with
the release (either in the same jars as the demos/tutorials, or in its
own jar/json/xml file).

Chris