pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Proposal "Pivot goes HTML5"
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2011 13:04:35 GMT
This is actually something I had considered attempting myself a couple of years back. One challenge
that you may run into is text measurement. HTML 5 does not provide a means for calculating
font metrics. I emailed the HTML 5 working group about this a while back, but they did not
have any plans to add it to the HTML 5 spec. Not sure if that has changed since. If not, you'll
need to come up with some other way to determine font metrics.

One possibility is to include a small binary in the runtime that will call into native platform
methods to get font info. It may not be completely accurate since you won't know how the <canvas>
tag is actually performing those calculations under the hood, but it might work.