pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Proposal "Pivot goes HTML5"
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:50:30 GMT
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Chris Bartlett <cbartlett.x@gmail.com>wrote:

> I like the idea, but don't see it being feasible in terms of manpower
> unless it is possible to attract the new contributors you mentioned.

Alright, I might be completely wrong, and that Pivot has a big enough
niche, but from my perspective it is a 'hard sell' at the moment. It is not
unique enough, compared to various other choices available. I think this
could be "it"...

> I imagine this new blood would have the HTML5/GWT/? knowledge but
> there will obviously be a need for some experienced Pivot people to
> commit time to this too. (Not necessarily current Pivot committers)

Ok, so what I have done over the last few weeks (probably a man-week in
total), is to move AWT away from Pivot's internals and use its own
abstraction for things like Color, Shape, Stroke... Then create a pluggable
bridging mechanism so that you "install" a Platform, where AWT will be the
first deliverable. I expect I can have this ready before end of this year.
At that point, you have "Pivot AWT" pretty much same as Pivot is today. And
I don't expect there to be 2 versions, but a single version that can run on
multiple host systems.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer