pivot-dev mailing list archives

From "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Roger.Whitc...@actian.com>
Subject RE: New dependency breaks maven build
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 17:38:12 GMT
First off, the code in "trunk" I'm working on is not going to be ready
for release for some time (probably at least a month or two), so I would
expect changes on an on-going basis.  So, absolutely we won't release
Pivot 2.1 until there is a VFS release that we can use.  But, I don't
really expect to release Pivot 2.1 until close to the end of the year,
depending on what everybody thinks about the feature set, etc.

Second, since you're doing (essentially) a private branch, can I suggest
you branch from the 2.0.x branch instead of "trunk"?  As I said the code
(except for the VFS browser) is identical, so you're not going to lose
anything wrt your changes.  And then you're not going to have any
problems with unreleased Commons VFS code.  We have already started some
changes to do a 2.0.4 branch, so since you need to build your code right
now, this would probably be a more stable place to work than "trunk"
anyway....  And once we iron out the maven stuff in "trunk", you could
definitely switch at that point.  The changes you have made (I already
took a quick look) are mostly new files and a few changes to existing
ones, so I don't think it would take much effort to apply the patch to
"branches/2.0.x" instead of "trunk" anyway.

Third, there was discussion about the binary incompatibilities between
VFS 2.0 and 2.1 already.  I don't have a reference to the discussion
right in front of me, but it was their decision, well before I had any
input.... I could suggest it, but since I'm not a committer for Commons
my opinion probably wouldn't carry much weight....

And lastly, could you use the code here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11450969/apache-commons-vfs-maven-rep
ository (esp. the <repository> stuff) to enable using the snapshot code
(if you want to continue using "trunk")?

~Roger