pivot-dev mailing list archives

From "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Roger.Whitc...@actian.com>
Subject RE: Inject properties in Application
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2013 19:58:16 GMT
Hi Sandro,
	Could you explain the use case a little more for me (injecting
data into Applications)?  Since I don't know Groovy, I'm kind of in the
dark about the requirement that this would satisfy....

Thanks,
~Roger

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandro Martini [mailto:sandro.martini@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2013 8:40 AM
To: Developers - Apache Pivot
Subject: Inject properties in Application

Hi all,
after doing some test from Groovy, using some Groovy Script to create
minimal Pivot Applications, for more tests on this:
you can find related examples here:
http://svn.codespot.com/a/apache-extras.org/pivot-stuff/trunk/pivot-stuf
f-common-groovy/

I'm thinking that for 2.1 could be useful to have a way to inject data
inside Applications, for example have some variable (like a Classloader
and maybe others) in a script and inject (or even set by
hand) in the Application.
But of course this requires a little update in that API, like add a
method setExternalProperties(Map <String, Object> properties) or similar
... and let Applications implement it if needed (or use the empty
version in Application.Adapter) ...

Then, DesktopApplicationContext currently uses a Class instance of
Application (dynamically loading the class instance), so maybe we could
even add a method to get an Application instance already created ...

What do you think ?

Note:
after Groovy, even Scala-2.11.0 (now in Milestone 5) should support
Scripting from shell, so this kind of features could be useful ...
And on Jython I'm sure we'll find a way to make it work the same,
probably the PIVOT-917 issue (see above) will be resolved rewriting
related samples in the "right Pivot-way" :-) ... if someone want to help
us on this, is welcome.

Bye,
Sandro