pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Roger and Beth Whitcomb <RogerandB...@rbwhitcomb.com>
Subject Re: Any idea why we have WTKListenerList
Date Wed, 17 May 2017 00:24:55 GMT
Sure. I'm fine with that. Will do that shortly.

Thanks,
~Roger

> On May 16, 2017, at 4:13 PM, Sandro Martini <sandro.martini@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ok, I'm fine with the remove in trunk.
> But before that we could put it deprecated in 2.0.x ... do you agree ?
>
> Bye
>
> Il 16/Mag/2017 00:09, "Roger Whitcomb" <rwhitcomb@apache.org> ha scritto:
>> Ciao Sandro,
>>
>>     I'm skeptical that it needs to have any multi-thread checks because pretty much
everything in WTK has to happen on the AWT Event Dispatch Thread, or things go awry.

>>     In fact, the first two commits to "WTKListenerList" were these:
>>
>> r1153866 | noelgrandin | 2011-08-04 05:37:00 -0700 (Thu, 04 Aug 2011) | 2 lines
>>
>> PIVOT-780 Can't use BXMLSerializer from non-AWT threads makes background resource
>> make the EDT checker tolerant of constructing WTK hierarchies from outside the event
thread
>> r1101054 | noelgrandin | 2011-05-09 08:07:59 -0700 (Mon, 09 May 2011) | 1 line
>>
>> add sanity checks to prevent updates to WTK state from happening except from the
event dispatch thread

>> Checking the diffs for revision 1153866 -- the WTKListenerList class was gutted to
take OUT all the checks for being on the EDT, so that component hierarchies could be built
up on background threads.

>> So, I'm going to pretty confidently assert that we no longer need this class (at
least in "trunk") and proceed to remove it .... (in a week or two to allow for more comment).

>> Thanks,
>> ~Roger
>>
>>> On 5/15/17 1:19 PM, Sandro Martini wrote:
>>> Hi Roger,
>>> I don't remember the originale reason for that class (maybe Greg could) ...
>>>
>>> You (or someone other) uses it in a multi thread environment ?
>>> If Yes, maybe could be a feature nice to have and we could get some time to finish
its implementation (and related test case) ...

>>> What do you think ?
>>>
>>> Bye

add thread-safety to the ListenerList abstract class.  But, AFAICT it does no such thing;
it's simply an alias for ListenerList<T>.  Is this something that just never got implemented
(the "thread safety" aspect)?  Or is thread safety not needed in these cases?  Or ....?

it, unless I need to worry about thread safety not being in here....