pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Roger Whitcomb <Roger.Whitc...@actian.com>
Subject RE: Jenkins build is back to normal : Pivot-maintenance on Java 8 #1120
Date Wed, 17 May 2017 17:02:07 GMT
So, what I found out (separately) is that even if you set the build class to 1.7 (say), and
use the 1.8 compiler, but DON'T set the 1.7 bootstrap classpath, then the compiler will not
flag stuff that is not compliant with the earlier version, so we need to either build with
1.6, or set the bootstrap classpath so that the 1.8 compiler will still check the 1.6 classes,
and etc.  Remember there was a bug I fixed a week ago or so, because I had used a 1.8 method,
but compiling with 1.8 even with the "compiler.source" and "compiler.target" set to 1.7 didn't
catch the error, UNTIL I also set the bootstrap classpath to 1.7....  So, that's why I'm a
bit concerned.  If we still want 2.0.x to run with 1.6, then we really need to really compile
with 1.6 (somehow)...

~Roger

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandro Martini [mailto:sandro.martini@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:16 AM
To: Developers - Apache Pivot <dev@pivot.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Jenkins build is back to normal : Pivot-maintenance on Java 8 #1120

Hi Roger,
I dropped the build on Java 7 only because on 2.0.x the minimum required Java version is 6,
and the current one is Java 8, and Java 7 is after End-of-Life so I think is no more relevant
(even because if some code compiles with Java 6 and with Java 8 usually if works even with
Java 7) ...

Anyway if needed we can restore is (or better, define it from scratch in Jenkins).

Bye,
Sandro