plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Ethernet based protocols
Date Mon, 11 May 2020 12:48:27 GMT
Hi Lukasz,

well in the PLC4J 0.6.0 world we explicitly modeled each layer of the protocols so they could
be layered.
However we quickly noticed that not a single layer was re-used.

I agree that the current mspec approach brings some duplication with it, however I am not
really seeing it happen so far.
I would assume as soon as we start supporting more CIP based protocol, the duplication will
increase. Same with the low level ethernet frames.
In theory it should be quite simple to just add wildcard import statements to a driver which
should make it work with layered mspecs.
The reason this should work is that currently the parser doesn't check if all used types are
actually defined, it just expects the developer to take care of this.

For now I would suggest to keep it simple and duplicate things and as soon as we see problems
arise from this, we can factor out the common parts.

What do you think?

Chris