plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Feinauer <j.feina...@pragmaticminds.de>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Add better PLC4X-API support for Input Dialogs
Date Fri, 29 May 2020 08:50:18 GMT
Hi folks,

this is an old Issue (see https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PLC4X/API+Extension+for+1.0).
What I generally would like to have is a way to communicate with the API / the Driver without
needing a Connection to e.g. „talk“ about the address input and probably also the connection
parameters.

To give you an example, consider I want to have a mask where users could enter their url and
address.
It would be nice to get all available protocols

Map<String, Driver> map = driverManager.getAllRegisteredProtocols()

to show it in a drop down.
When user selects one I could generate a form to enter all connection parameters

driver.getConnectionParameters();

And then, when he wants to enter a Field Address I could go on like that and could do many
things already with the Driver without hte need to have a Conneciton in Place already. Like:

driver.validate(„%DB.asdf“) <-- fails
driver.getValidatingRegex() <-- Could be used in my forms

or even get more detailed information, like an abstract address specification that I could
use to build a form.
For S7 this could for example be

List<AddressPart> driver.getAddressParts()

which could be something like

MemoryPart <- Enum-Like „DB, Q, I, ...“ and so on.

Tob e clear: I ONLY want to extend the current API and not change anything setup. So all APIs
would stay in Place as is but this would help people who allow their users to input PLC4X
Informations like we do or e.g. Streampipes (thus, added as CC here).

WDYT?

Julian