plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [Introduction] Christofer Dutz
Date Wed, 06 May 2020 01:04:39 GMT
On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 7:23 PM Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de>
wrote:

> Being an IT guy living near Frankfurt (Germany) there is almost no chance
> to not work for Banks and Insurance companies. So I guess I’ve been working
> for about 12 different Banks and Insurance companies in the last 15 years.
> I always like to compare working for a bank like asking Picasso to paint a
> portrait, but to have him wear a mental-institution restraining jacket and
> have him paint with a brush in his mouth.

I love the analogy! I was at a huge investment bank for 4 years, and
managed to "break free" of the straight-jacket, and only got "caught" when
the project was ready to launch and I was 1/8th of the budget and 1/4th of
the time allocated. My boss' boss' boss took notice, and screamed "shut
that down", about a week before going live. Can't have something like that
lowering his budget allocation. Got transferred internally to the Java
support team, mainly to be responsible for bringing open source into the
firm.

> It was that time that Industry 4.0 was everywhere … all the problems are
> easily addressable with open-source and a lot of the skills I have from the
> banking would have been a perfect match. So I had a look at what’s missing
> in this big picture and pretty quickly noticed the data-access problem is
> the biggest barrier and no solution being available or in sight.

Absolutely. What is now called IIoT is nothing new as a principle. The
first buildings I connected to the Internet happened in 1998. And way back
in 1986, I created one of the first PLC-to-PLC dial-up (both directions)
systems at Exomatic (now part of Regin AB). I didn't think much about it at
the time, it was a natural thing, except the modems were a pain, both due
to the incompatible AT commands, non-optimized default settings, and the
fact that they often stopped responding. BUT, I think that part of our
technology made a huge difference to gain customers.

Another huge passion of mine is melodic electronic music, so usually I
> travel around the Europe visiting different electronic music festivals.

Do you play/compose as well? One of my personal thing is Eurorack Modular
Synthesizers, but mainly construction. My son take care of the playing.

> I live in a town called Ober-Ramstadt together with my girlfriend Tanja,
> where we just moved into a house I inherited from my grandpa and which we
> renovated in 2 years of hard work … and still the work doesn’t end … so
> some-times I fall off the face of the earth for a few days cause I’m
> probably digging trenches for the foundation for some wall, or my
> rain-water system, or … or … or …. Guess the digging never stops.

He he he... My parents bought an ex-old-folks home in 1970, when it was
nearly impossible to borrow money, for $5000. Constant renovation continued
to ~1995, then slowed down to a project per year until ~2005, when my dad
got too old (80) for heavy duty work. So, I understand the challenge you
have in front of you ;-) ...

> Ok … so I hope this gives you a little impression on who I am and what
> drives me … it would make me happy to see some of you folks also introduce
> yourself. And I would even more love to have a beer with you (Or, as I’m a
> hessian … a big glass of apple wine) 😉

Really cool to hear. I'll pop by if I am in the neighborhood. I was
commuting to Wiesbaden in 2008 for a customer. 2 weeks at home, 4-6 weeks
in Wiesbaden, for about a year. It might happen again ;-)

Btw, my "home" is Malaysia and if anyone from this community happens to
pass through Kuala Lumpur, shout and we'll have a good meal and a beer.

// Niclas