plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject [DISCUSS] Refactor the configuration of PLC4J drivers ...
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2020 07:25:16 GMT
Hi all,

We currently parse prepare one configuration for each connection. This configuration contains
all the information needed to setup the transport as well as the driver itself.
The thing I see with this, is that the driver needs to know about all transports. Now imagine
we come up with some “quantum-entanglement” transport … we would need to extend all
drivers that theoretically support that.
I never really was quite happy with this, I have to admit, but it worked for now.

When building PLC4C I implemented things differently.

Here I have a parser that goes through the properties in the connection url and makes this
information available.
Now I get the driver depending on the url and this creates and initializes a driver-config
structure … now this can update the default properties in there with overrides from the
connection-url-parameter.
After that’s done the driver knows which transport he needs and accesses that. This creates
it’s own config structure and initializes that and then overrides from the connection url
can be applied.

What I’m saying is: Currently we have one config … I would like to split this up into
a “ConnectionConfig” and a “TransportConfig” … this should really separate things
cleanly.

What do you think?

Chris