poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Ackley" <sack...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: HDF status
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:44:32 GMT
> Suppose, sayI want to encode all text characters of the read Stream(from
> existing doc file) by increasing their ASCII values by 2.
> How can I do that? what all DtaStructures I need to edit like..TextPieces,
> Papx,Chpx...??

You wouldn't need to write any of these data structures. All you would have
to do is load the "WordDocument" stream into a byte array using POIFS, then
find the start of text using the FIB, then iterate through the bytes adding
2 to each byte. Then you would write the stream to a new Word file.

That is very easy, but it doesn't help you achieve your ultimate goal, being
able to convert an html file to a Word document. For that, you are going to
have to write out all the data structures, FIB, SEPX, PAPX, CHPX. You were
correct when you said that it is like climbing the Himalayas. I have been
working on doing the most basic writing for the past 2 weeks, and I am only
about half finished (and I understand the spec).

Ryan