poi-dev mailing list archives

From Tetsuya Kitahata <tets...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: All DOCUMENTS TO UTF-8
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:42:45 GMT

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 01:48:01 -0400
(Subject: Re: Proposal: All DOCUMENTS TO UTF-8)
"Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver@apache.org> wrote:

> Make sure the spanish and the such works...  Aside from that, I don't
> care.

Okay, I think I have to care about the Spanish and German Translators
(and other languages')

I've thought that folks in Latin area could memorize the unicode escape
sequence char numbers correspond to those "a few" (or several) extra
characters. (So, the translators would not feel such a burdon
relatively, I guessed ... Still I'm not sure.)
However, we can not put into our poor brains all of the unicode escape
sequence char numbers correspond to *over one million* extra characters.
(So, we have to use "native2ascii" or whatever, when put them
into apache.org server and retrieve them from cvs, I guessed)

When we think about the issues of internationalization
(localization) of codebase and docs etc., there might be two
*BIG* hurdles.
1. English (en) vs. non-English Latins (de,it,fr,es ..) problem
2. Latins vs. non-Latins (ja,kr,tw,cn ..) problem

These might be *invisible* but *inevitable*. Please take these into
consideration, too.

Also, I want to put this proposal (All DOCUMENTS TO UTF-8) to
vote in a couple of days. Then, also I want Agustin to participate
in this vote. Is it all right?

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)