poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New FFN & Fontable classes
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:50:07 GMT
On 7/9/03 9:14 AM, "Praveen Mathew" <prmathew@in.ibm.com> wrote:

> Ryan,
>
>             Actually its  a kind of pressure situation here. I need to
> do the Stream writing & modifying  by this Friday. So I have decided to do
> night outs to catch up with your working time. I am seeking your Valuable
> help for this.
>
> I have a request. I do understand the importance of the test cases for the
> code we write,  but can we for a time being, focus a bit more on the
> actual writing of streams as whole to make the Doc file & try some
> modification of streams. Then we can complete all the test cases.

This is exactly the opposite of how you should work.  You should write the
unit tests first and then the code.  I realize you're in a hurry, but we
have learned from long experience in this project that unit tests are
neither optional, nor does saving them for later save time.  You'll change
something...something that worked 5 minutes before will stop working and
you'll spend all night figuring it out....Compare this to WITH unit tests
where the unit test fails and you know immediately WHAT broke.

> This can actually make my life better here. I badly need to write a Doc ,
> modifying its Streams atleast in the the simplest way that can be done.
>
> Please give a serious thought on this
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Praveen
>

> "Ryan Ackley" <sackley@cfl.rr.com>
> 09/07/2003 17:34
> Please respond to "POI Developers List"
>

>       To:     "POI Developers List" <poi-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
>       cc:
>       Subject:        Re: New FFN & Fontable classes
>

> Yes, if everything goes according to plan. But you never know...
>
> Ryan

classes

>> <code>long</code>
>> 0x7fffffffffffffffL;