poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Praveen Mathew" <prmat...@in.ibm.com>
Subject Re: New FFN & Fontable classes
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:35:29 GMT
this was the comment from Andrew C Oliver

Thanks & Regards
Praveen

Praveen Mathew
IBM Software Labs,Airport Road,
Bangalore - 560 017,India.
Ph : +91- 80 - 504 4609 (Direct)
       +91 - 80 - 5262355 Extn: 3609
Email: prmathew@in.ibm.com

"Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver@apache.org>
09/07/2003 20:20
Please respond to "POI Developers List"

        To:     POI Developers List <poi-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: New FFN & Fontable classes

On 7/9/03 9:14 AM, "Praveen Mathew" <prmathew@in.ibm.com> wrote:

> Ryan,
>
>             Actually its  a kind of pressure situation here. I need to
> do the Stream writing & modifying  by this Friday. So I have decided to
do
> night outs to catch up with your working time. I am seeking your
Valuable
> help for this.
>
> I have a request. I do understand the importance of the test cases for
the
> code we write,  but can we for a time being, focus a bit more on the
> actual writing of streams as whole to make the Doc file & try some
> modification of streams. Then we can complete all the test cases.

This is exactly the opposite of how you should work.  You should write the
unit tests first and then the code.  I realize you're in a hurry, but we
have learned from long experience in this project that unit tests are
neither optional, nor does saving them for later save time.  You'll change
something...something that worked 5 minutes before will stop working and
you'll spend all night figuring it out....Compare this to WITH unit tests
where the unit test fails and you know immediately WHAT broke.

--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?