poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Improving POIFS performance
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:51:33 GMT
On 10/9/03 10:27 AM, "Chris Nokleberg" <chris@sixlegs.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 09:03:02PM +0930, Glen Stampoultzis wrote:
>> At 03:25 PM 9/10/2003, you wrote:
>>> Yes. Although the changes to POIFS will not have a tremendous initial
>>> impact on performance since HSSF will still be buffering all of the
>>> records (I have ideas for changing that, but it is a lot of work).
>>
>> I was suspecting this to be the case.  I was hoping that the performance
>> would be comparable at least and that memory usage would be the same or
>> better.  If this is the case we could pick your implementation and run with
>> that and then work towards providing an implementation of HSSF that can
>> take better advantage of the new API.
>
> Memory use should probably be ~50%, since only HSSF will be buffering,
> instead of HSSF *and* POIFS. Also, the streams you don't care about
> won't have to be read in. Performance should improve at least a little
> as a result.

No..  Our object counts expand memory usage *far* more than POIFS.  This may
end up being true in the HEAD.

-Andy

> Chris

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.