poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Ackley" <ry...@softartisans.com>
Subject Leaving POI
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:50:20 GMT
All,

I have taken a new job with a company called SoftArtisans
(http://www.softartisans.com). They develop OfficeWriter, a Java/.NET
product for designing and delivering reports in Excel and Word
(http://officewriter.softartisans.com/officewriter-240.aspx). So in a
nutshell, I will be continuing to work on HWPF but it will be integrated
with SoftArtisans OfficeWriter product line and it will be a commercial,
for-sale, non-opensource product. They have also licensed the file
formats from Microsoft. So this means I will *never* be able to
contribute to HWPF development again.

The contributions that I have already made to POI will always be a part
of Apache and I hope that you find them useful. An article that Avik and
I wrote will be appearing in the August issue of Java Developer's
Journal and it covers the capabilities of the existing codebase of HWPF
in CVS.

It is very important to mention that SoftArtisans is committed to the
Java community. They support me continuing to work on open source
projects that do not directly compete with their commercial products. I
am looking forward to following other interests in the java open source
community that I haven't had the opportunity to participate in while
working on HWPF on my own time.

There are many of you that have expressed an interest in HWPF over the
years, I hope you will be interested in paying for a rock-solid
java/.NET Word library that will support ALL of the features of the file
format.  At the present time, SoftArtisans offers an impressive
reporting product that preserves all of the features of Word and Excel.

Anyway, its been great working with all of you. My new email address
will be (ryana at softartisans dot com). Look me up sometime. Btw, I no
longer plan on answering any questions about HWPF unless you are a
SoftArtisans customer.

Cheers,

-Ryan