poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@torchbox.com>
Subject org.apache.poi.util.StringUtil
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 15:35:34 GMT
Hi All

It has been suggested (in Bugzilla) that my PowerPoint code's
util.TextMunger class is largely a duplicate of util.StringUtil.

However, I'm really struggling to figure out exactly what that class does.
Comments like "write compressed unicode" don't really explain much...

Could someone perhaps tell me if there are any methods to do the
following?

* Take little endian unicode bytes, and return a string
* Take a string, and return little endian unicode bytes
* Take a string, and return the closest approximation in US-ASCII bytes
* Take a string, try to convert it US-ASCII bytes, and either return the
   bytes or indicate (exception, null return etc) that it couldn't be
   done?

I'll happily do a patch the javadocs for the methods I end up using, once
I know what they do!

Thanks
Nick