poi-dev mailing list archives

From David Fisher <dfis...@jmlafferty.com>
Subject Re: POI & Visio?
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:43:17 GMT
Hi Dmirty,

You asked two good questions. (You asked 3 weeks ago as well - but I
am answering now)

(1) If POI had plans to support Visio.

>> I was wondering if there are any capabilities, either already in
>> POI or being planned for, to have a Java API for the Visio file
>> format.

A rather reasonable question. POI is now TLP and is the place for
Java-based OLE2 file formats. So, are there any plans? Since the
topic of what should be developed for the next major release has come
up, it is also a pertinent question.

(2) If there was anything Java and opensource that reads the Visio
format, preferably all the way to XML

>> Also, is there anywhere an open source Java converter from the
>> native Visio format to XML?

This is worth researching, if there is such software then perhaps the
author(s) would make a good addition to the POI community.

OpenOffice is looking for such a developer: http://
graphics.openoffice.org/development/projects.html

Here is a web page where someone is working on the file format http://
www.redferni.uklinux.net/visio/

This points to http://freshmeat.net/projects/vsdump/

Which says: "vsdump is a set of tools that are useful for reverse
engineering the VSD/VSS file format used by Visio."

Vsdump is really here - http://www.gnome.ru/projects/vsdump_en.html

http://www.gnome.ru/projects/docs/slide2.png does this stream look
anything like an Escher drawing layer? Anyway it looks like these are
some links that Dmitry could follow answering (2) in the affirmative
(or nearly so)

Regards,
Dave