poi-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject [HSSF] Cell Data Formats
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:18:33 GMT
I've used POI/HSSF for a number of years, parsing excel sheets using the
event model. Until now we knew the format of the data we were expecting
and processed accordingly.

Now however I want to be able to get numeric data in the format its
displayed to the user - dates, numbers currencies. Looking around HSSF I
don't really see anything for converting the excel data format into an
equivalent java one (e.g. DecimalFormat / SimpleDateFormat). The only
related thing I found was for the built in formats in
SVTableCellRenderer in "contrib" (see http://tinyurl.com/2d2bw9).

So I was thinking of writing a data format parser for custom data
formats - but just wanted to confirm nothing exists for this yet. Also
if it doesn't exist is it a feature that POI would be of interested in
having contributed?

tia

Niall