poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@torchbox.com>
Subject Re: [HSSF] Cell Data Formats
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:25:35 GMT
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> I've used POI/HSSF for a number of years, parsing excel sheets using the
> event model. Until now we knew the format of the data we were expecting and
> processed accordingly.
>
> Now however I want to be able to get numeric data in the format its
> displayed to the user - dates, numbers currencies. Looking around HSSF I
> don't really see anything for converting the excel data format into an
> equivalent java one (e.g. DecimalFormat / SimpleDateFormat). The only
> related thing I found was for the built in formats in
> SVTableCellRenderer in "contrib" (see http://tinyurl.com/2d2bw9).

There was something posted to the list a little while back:
 	http://www.mail-archive.com/user@poi.apache.org/msg00135.html
Unfortunately it didn't come with any user tests, and wasn't attached to
bugzilla, so never got applied.

If you fancy testing it and reporting back, that'd be great :)

If committed, not sure if it should go into
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFDataFormat, or just placed in a new
class under org.apache.poi.hssf.util

Nick