poi-dev mailing list archives

From David Fisher <dfis...@jmlafferty.com>
Subject Re: HDGF, chunks_parse_cmds.tbl, and GPLv3
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 17:01:44 GMT
On Dec 9, 2008, at 10:31 AM, Nick Burch wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, David Fisher wrote:
>> There is the related legal question about whether or not any LZW
>> implementations might be infringing on the Unisys patent, or if
>> that even matters anymore.
>
> I thought that all the key patents had now expired? 4,558,302 was
> the one that caused the main issues for gif, and that expired back
> in 2003 in the US, 2004 everywhere else

OK. Google is my friend. Apparently, no patents are in effect for LZW.
So that is a non-issue. I'm glad.

BTW - It looks like http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html has been
substantially updated recently (in the past few months) and it is
clear there that the GPL and LGPL must not be included. There do not
appear to be any exceptions for "data."

If the release for 3.5b4 was incorrect because of this then how should
we proceed?

Regards,
Dave