poi-dev mailing list archives

From Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>
Subject Re: must list for 3.5-final
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:59:59 GMT
>> (4) Quality of poi-ooxml code and its readiness for FINAL
>> There was a criticism by Andrew that poi-ooxml does not have adequate
>> unit tests. Please be constructive.
>> The unit test coverage has significantly improved since 3.5-beta3. In
>> my opinion the quality of poi-ooxml code is OK to be used in production.
>
> Do we want to follow some minimums based on the jdepend statistics?
Jdepend statistics doesn't make much sense to me, I think we should follow common sense instead
of it.
The test coverage should be enough to allow easy refactoring of code, prevent bugs, etc. I
think poi-ooxml conforms to
it more or less.

>> (5) Bugzilla cleanup.
>> The state of bug database is a good indicator of the project health.
>> We have 100+ open bugs and many of them were reported on POI 2.5 and
>> earlier. I would target getting the number of open bugs below 50.
>
> I think that the To Do list in the site is out of date and is certainly
> related to the bugzilla list.

Good catch. This brings a question, whether we need to maintain the TODO list and make the
release procedure more
formal. Should we proceed to release only when a certain number of items from TODO is fixed?
Who will maintain and decide it? Certainly we shouldn't rely on the bug priority in Bugzilla
because users often abuse it.

>> I would like to resolve most of it by the end of January and release
>> 3.5-FINAL in February. Does it sound realistic?
>
> I think if we wait that long we'll need a Beta 5 after resolving (2) and
> (3) hopefully by the beginning of January. We cannot wait until February
> to resolve (2).

I really hope we will have (2) fixed in a week or two. It can also be a reason to release
3.5-beta5 in early January
if we decide we need it.

> I would add the following work in parallel.
>
> (6) Site cleanup.
> (a) Remove or adjust the mirrors page. All of the links are 404.
> (b) Branching page. There are no descriptions about any of the branches.
> Either remove or update.
> (c) Documentation building instructions are hidden on the translation
> guidelines page. The page should be split.
> (d) Make the link structure on the left nav more consistent.
> (e) Collect more examples from the mailing lists.

Yes, yes, yes. We have a steady number of commits but most of them are bug fixes and new features.
Developers are very reluctant to write/update documentation.

I don't think that the items from (6) are "must" for 3.5-final but having them would be very
desirable.

Regards,
Yegor