poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@torchbox.com>
Subject Re: HDGF, chunks_parse_cmds.tbl, and GPLv3
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 12:38:46 GMT
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> We may want to argue on legal-discuss@ whether the GPLv3 section 4 would
> allow us to treat it as a category B license in
> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html, but until that I don't think
> it's a good idea to include any GPLv3 files in Apache svn or releases.

I think we should probably punt this on over to legal-discuss, yes.

The original work was under GPL v2, and the author re-licensed it as GPL
v3 so that we could include it. I had thought that section 4 would cover
our use, and the NOTICE file was updated to make this clear, plus make
sure people knew exactly what was covered. (We weren't trying to hide
anything!)

The slightly confusing thing is that we're dealing with a datafile, and
not true source code with a compiled form, which the GPL isn't ideally
suited to. The section 5 aggregate clause might well apply if section 4
does not.

So, yes, one for legal-discuss for now. I'll go and subscribe, Yukka do
you want to kick of the issue over there to get us started?

Nick