poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@torchbox.com>
Subject Re: Problem with 'Unable to construct record instance'
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:27:06 GMT
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Projer wrote:
> When I create a HSSFWorkbookobject, I get the following error:

The key bit is:

> Caused by: org.apache.poi.hssf.record.RecordFormatException: Expected to
> find a ContinueRecord in order to read remaining 33 of 62 chars
> 	at
> org.apache.poi.hssf.record.RecordInputStream.readStringCommon(RecordInputStream.java:318)

This could be caused by a corrupt file, or by yet another special case in
how continue records are found (you'd expect from their name that they'd
follow the main record, but if only life were that simple....)

If you upload the problem file to a new bugzilla entry, along with a
description, that'd be good. If you fancy some digging, try to figure out
which record in the file is giving the error, then use BiffViewer to track
down if there's a ContinueRecord after it or not (and if there is, what
comes between the main record and it)

Nick