poi-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Streamlining the ooxml-schemas jar
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:58:45 GMT
Hi,

The OOXML support in POI works really well for Apache Tika, but I'm a
bit annoyed [1] by the size of the ooxml-schemas jar file.

I looked at the compile-ooxml-xsds target that generates the jar, and
the difference in the input and output sizes is pretty amazing:

  * input: 220K ooxml-lib/OfficeOpenXML-XMLSchema.zip
  * output 14M ooxml-lib/ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar

That's a 62x difference! Are all of the generated code and xsd
snippets in ooxml-schemas needed by POI, or would there be some way to
streamline the jar?

[1] http://jukkaz.wordpress.com/2009/10/16/putting-poi-on-a-diet/

BR,

Jukka Zitting