poi-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Thiesen <mar...@thiesen.org>
Subject OpenXML4j OPCPackage calls Runtime.getRuntime().gc() which is considered a perfomance bottleneck
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 17:01:39 GMT
Hey Devs,

we're using OpenXML4j through Tika and it works great, except that
OpenXML4j causes a lot of unnecessary garbage collection on our system
which leads to performace losses.

Apparently, according to the latest JavaDoc [1], a call to
Runtime.getRuntime().gc() causes a full heap garbage collect, which
isn't what you usually want in any longer running application. The
runtime knows when to garbage collect :).

Would you kindly consider to remove the call?

Patch attached.

Have fun,

  Marcus

[1]: http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html#gc()

--
 :: Marcus Thiesen :: www.thiesen.org :: ICQ#108989768 :: 0x754675F2 ::

I've been to war. I've raised twins. If I had a choice, I'd rather go to war
                                                               George W. Bush