poi-dev mailing list archives

From David Fisher <dfis...@jmlafferty.com>
Subject Re: SQL based data access for POI-HSSF and POI-XSSF
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:47:03 GMT
One possibility is to use Derby (http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/ApacheCon.html look into
"Saucer Separation") to read an excel sheet into an internal structure. Derby would then provide
the sql capability.

So, I would recommend you look into incorporating POI under Derby somehow as the database
file driver.

I were forced to do this that is what I'd do.

Dave

On Apr 16, 2010, at 8:34 AM, Nick Burch wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Anjana Fernando wrote:
>> I was wondering, if it will be useful if there is an SQL based method (JDBC Driver)
for querying data in Excel files using Apache POI. It can be a subset of standard SQL, where
mostly used operations such as SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE etc .. can be run, and maybe also transaction
support, i.e. serializable isolation level.

> I must confess I've never had a single occasion where I thought "I wish I
> could query an excel file through SQL"... However, if you have, then perhaps it's not
that unusual!

>> I'm willing to put in the work for adding this functionality, if this is something
worth doing .. hoping for comments :) ..

> If you'd like to do some work on this, I'm sure we'd be happy to put it into the contrib
module or somewhere like that. Be aware though that I suspect it'll be even more memory hungry
than POI normally is... You'd probably want to use the common (ss) usermodel, so it can work
for both old and new files