poi-dev mailing list archives

From Antoni Mylka <antoni.my...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to check for valid excel files using POI without checking the file extension
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:01:55 GMT
W dniu 2010-04-19 13:49, James Geroge pisze:

> Hi Friends,
> Is there a way to know the file is an excel file without manipulating the
> file extension, as the users can send the excel files in format like below.
> Test
> Test.xls
> Test.xlsx
> Test.xlsxxlsx(by renaming the file using windows explorer)
> Test.xlsabcd (by renaming

You can use a mime type identifier. Nice ones are in the Aperture
Framework (disclaimer: I'm Aperture's maintainer :) ) or in Apache Tika.

AFAIK Apache Tika's is better at recognizing xlsx files if the extension
is missing, at least at the moment. We're working on it too.

Antoni Mylka
antoni.mylka@gmail.com