poi-dev mailing list archives

From Anjana Fernando <laferna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SQL based data access for POI-HSSF and POI-XSSF
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:04:37 GMT
On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM, MSB <markbrdsly@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Ah, I understand a bit better now and applaud the endeavour.

:) ..

> It just struck me that using an existing JDBC bridge would allow you to 'forget' syntax
> checking and the like and allow you to concentrate on what, I guess, will be
> a GUI allowing the user to view field names and select them so as to
> assemble the SQL command - assuming you are aiming at less experienced
> users. In my mind's eye, I had an image of Access's Query Tool.

Yeah, basically the goal is to give the user the control of performing
complex operations easily with the spreadsheet data, so for that, SQL
is an ideal language, since the data already fits the model that is
needed. Other stuff, GUI tools etc.., can be built on top of that as
needed.

Cheers,
Anjana.