poi-dev mailing list archives

From Anjana Fernando <laferna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SQL based data access for POI-HSSF and POI-XSSF
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:51:28 GMT
On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Nick Burch <nick.burch@alfresco.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Anjana Fernando wrote:
>>
>> I was wondering, if it will be useful if there is an SQL based method
>> (JDBC Driver) for querying data in Excel files using Apache POI. It can be a
>> subset of standard SQL, where mostly used operations such as SELECT, INSERT,
>> UPDATE etc .. can be run, and maybe also transaction support, i.e.
>> serializable isolation level.
>
> I must confess I've never had a single occasion where I thought "I wish I
> could query an excel file through SQL"... However, if you have, then perhaps
> it's not that unusual!

Yeah, I'll give an example. I'm a developer in WSO2 Data Services
Server project, and we use Apache POI for Excel data source support.
At the moment, we only provide the user to query Excel data using the
column names/numbers and get the values. And doesn't currently support
for a way to insert data. So if there's a query language like SQL, the
user can very easily create complex queries, like . retrieving data
from several worksheets, manipulate that data, and inserting data to a
specific location.

>> I'm willing to put in the work for adding this functionality, if this is
>> something worth doing .. hoping for comments :) ..
>
> If you'd like to do some work on this, I'm sure we'd be happy to put it into
> the contrib module or somewhere like that. Be aware though that I suspect
> it'll be even more memory hungry than POI normally is... You'd probably want
> to use the common (ss) usermodel, so it can work for both old and new files

That's great :) ..