poi-dev mailing list archives

From Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>
Subject Re: Commons Math dependency?
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:32:48 GMT
I was about to ask this question :)

I'm OK to include Commons Math as a POI dependency. There are lots of
stuff we can use in POI - bug #49538 uses Math's implementation of
Poisson and we may want to include other statistical distributions like
beta, gamma and binom.

Previously I copied into POI a snippet of code that calculates
fractional numbers. It was easy because that part is isolated. However,
this trick will not work for statistical distributions - there are lots
of dependencies and we will have to copy whole packages.

> What do people think? Would it be ok to include this as a dependency?
> Should we require it for these features, but let everything else work
> without it (which could mean you run poi fine for ages, then suddenly
> one day it blows up saying "hey, I need commons math now!")? Should we
> decline the patches that need commons math, and do without those
> features?

We should certainly handle the case when commons math is not present, at
least, we should wrap the default ClassNotFoundException.

Yegor