poi-dev mailing list archives

From Yegor Kozlov <yegor.koz...@dinom.ru>
Subject Re: Contributing to XSLF Code
Date Tue, 21 May 2013 04:58:22 GMT
Fiddling with direct manipulation of OOXML is not to be relied on. The
vocabulary is too complex and the whole approach will be clumsy.

I thought about a XLSF-FOP plugin too but gave up because of lack of time.
FOP provides a pluggable API for output format writers: there are
writers for PDF, RTF, text, awt, etc. We can try to hook a writer for
PPTX .
FOP will compute the layout and call XLSF to build the presentation.
I'm not fully sure that it will work but the idea is worth trying.

Technically speaking, adding support for notes in XLSF is not that
hard. The best way to understand how Presenatation ML does it is to
create two simple presentations: one without notes and the other with
a notes attached. Then unzip and diff the files.

Yegor

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:52 PM, honyk <j.tosovsky@email.cz> wrote:
>> I'm also working on code to generate new slides from a simple XML
>> format
>> that represents generic slide show content (that is, something that is
>> relatively easy to generate from other stuff, like existing XML or
>> whatever).
>
> Recently I've investigated possibilities to convert DocBook XML (a subset only) into
PPTX directly, but I've given this up.

> 1. PPTX vocabulary is too complex
> 2. There are limitations in XSLT in determining the available space for laying objects
out on the slide (and handling overflows to next page if needed). I wish it was supported
by any XSL-FO processor.
> 3. I ended up in generating PDF slides from XSL-FO and converting this PDF into PPTX
using the Adobe Acrobat XI. While this conversion is not mature yet, the output is far better
than from other tools I tested.
> 4. Previous step cannot handle features like slide notes. And this is the reason why
I've joined the POI dev list :-)  While reading notes is supported, there is no way to insert
your own into the existing presentation. I'd like to help with it.