poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: Contributing to XSLF Code
Date Fri, 17 May 2013 21:26:10 GMT
On Fri, 17 May 2013, Eliot Kimber wrote:
> I am trying to use the XSLF code to implement manipulation and
> generation of PPTX presentations. I see that there are still some
> missing features and bugs. I am more than happy to contribute to the
> code to fill in some of the features I'm looking for. But I didn't want
> to start writing patches without checking what was already under way.

Most of the work on XSLF has been done by Yegor. (I did a bit at the start
around text extraction, then he put most of the work in for the rest!).
The remainder comes from user contributions, which we're always very keen
to get!

Yegor is currently a bit snowed-under at work, so I don't believe he's
currently working on any XSLF code. If it's in SVN with a TODO, consider
it fair game to implement! If it's a new feature, probably best post
something here for a sanity check, then go ahead if no-one spots a problem
with your plan

> My first task is to implement a PPTX "burster" that can produce a set of
> single-slide presentations from an existing presentation. I see that
> this task was discussed in the mailing list and some workaround code was
> provided. But it seems like it would be better to simply make the base
> code do the right thing in this case and I'd like to tackle that if it's
> not already in the process of being addressed.

I'd suggest you take that code, fix it and finish it, write some unit
tests, then contribute a patch for it. Ideally it would probably be
something like a utility that works on XSLF slideshows to produce new
ones, or something like that, with most of the logic on the main XSLF
classes

> I'm also working on code to generate new slides from a simple XML format
> that represents generic slide show content (that is, something that is
> relatively easy to generate from other stuff, like existing XML or
> whatever).

Have you seen the HSLF stuff for producing .ppt files, from java awt-style
code and the like?

Nick