poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: Switch to maven?
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2016 12:42:58 GMT
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016, Dominik Stadler wrote:
> Here a few initial ideas where we could improve this:
>
> 1. Add some CI to the Github project so that PRs are automatically verified

I think some other Apache projects already do something like this. Maybe
ask on dev@community

> 2. Move to Git/Github

Moving to Github is not allowed. See dev@community and board@ for
discussions and details. Other than an experiment with Whimsy, ASF source
control systems (either SVN or GIT-WIP) must remain the canonical source

Moving to Git is possible, and Tika has just done so. Needs documentation,
and guideance, again dev@community probably the best place to ask for
advice on that

> 5. Use some donation-scheme for bugfixes so people affected by bugs can
> offer some compensation and developers can make some money for fixing
> certain bugs

You need to take care here - targetted donations are not allowed, and
no-one can promise that any fix will be accepted by the project. (Someone
could pay you to write a patch that removes Excel support, for example,
and while you could take their money and write them the patch, the
community would veto applying it to trunk! Extreme example, but gives the
idea)

I'd suggest you go watch / listen to a previous "The Apache Way" talk :)

Bug bounties can be done, but need a bit of care. general@incubator has
some discussions on this, probably more than dev@community, as the
incubator has more people learning how to adapt to Apache-like
development. Ask, learn, implement! :)

Nick