poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject JAXB and Java 9
Date Wed, 18 May 2016 09:36:52 GMT
Hi,

I just wanted to inform you that the last build of JDK9, build 118 (https://jdk9.java.net/download/)
had some changes about which of the core modules are exported by default to non-module enabled
apps (those deployed on classpath - the standard way to deploy apps today).

One change to note is: JAXB and a few others are no longer visible by default from Java 9
on (you get ClassNotFoundEx), so users have to add a command line option to make it visible!

For more information, see Alan Bateman's statement:
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk9-dev/2016-May/004309.html

If we plan to migrate to JAXB, we have to think about how to handle that:
- Add some up-to-date JAXB impl as Maven dependency. This was also the main reason why JAXB
was disabled by default: Code is now able to ship with their own, up-to-date impl of those
modules (like Java EE servers).
- Document that on Java 9 you have to write your application using the module system or pass
an additional command line option to java

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen