poi-dev mailing list archives

From Dominik Stadler <dominik.stad...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Help with task: Addd/Update documentation for Visio Document support
Date Mon, 30 May 2016 19:02:41 GMT
Hi,

great to get some help!

Dustin, the author of some of the Visio functionality, recently updated a
few things already, but there is surely a big need for more description and
guides for users to make it easier to get started.

All the documentation pages live in Subversion at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/site/, the latest Apache POI code is
at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/site/, it pulls in the docs via an
SVN external link. When changes are checked in, they are immediately
published to http://poi.apache.org/ <http://poi.apache.org/howtobuild.html>

You probably can start by trying to get the docs built as described at
http://poi.apache.org/howtobuild.html by installing Apache Forrest in the
specified version. With this you can build the documentation pages locally
and take a look before submitting them.

You likely need to take a look at the available classes/code a bit and what
functionality they provide. One thing that usually helps developers most is
a "Quick Guide" which provides ready-made samples of how to do things with
the library, see e.g. http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/quick-guide.html
for something like this for the Excel format support.

I suggest you take a look around a bit and then get back to us with any
questions/hurdles that you ran into so we can get you going quickly!

Dominik.