poi-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Beeker <kiwiwi...@apache.org>
Subject POI 4.0 and Java 8
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2017 22:10:39 GMT
Hi Tika devs,

at POI, we are about to have a major change in the upcoming version after POI 3.17 is out,
which will be probably in the next week or so.

Up till now we had a discussion [1], about the next Java SE, i.e. Java 7 or 8,
and it looks like Java 8 is the preferred version - with the restriction on how you'll get
along
with that decision.

In an ideal world you would say, ok we switch to Java 8 too, but I guess this won't happen
at least not so fast.

To continue the discussion, I could try to gather a few arguments why it would make sense
to switch, but in the end you also have upstream dependencies to check for, e.g. elasticsearch
[2].

So I would choose a different approach...:
- do you have any plans to switch to Java 8? when would that be?
- if we decide to go on, how much of an impact would that be for Tika (... to rely on an older
POI version)?
- any recommendations? maybe something like a mixed versions jar

Thank you,
Andi

[1] http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/Discussions-on-POI-4-0-Java7-8-voting-td5728560.html
[2] https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup.html