poi-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Woolsey <greg.wool...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XDDF implementation shared between XSSFChart and XSLFChart
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2017 16:59:56 GMT
That might work for me, I'm not sure.  Here's more background.

There is much I want to do with the charts API already, but I haven't had
time to see if this change goes in directions I'm wanting already.  In
particular I am constantly having to do variations on "instanceof" and type
casting and/or use reflection to retrieve elements common to most or all
chart types but defined without a common interface or type hierarchy.  The
current design follows the OOXML definitions, which have much overlap and
duplication but don't lend themselves to identifying common attributes.
I've started doing some of that with a parent class for axes, but there
needs to be more.  This XDDF work could help that, and at worst would
likely only move the work to a different package, not add to it.

Delegating the public API, however, may break the necessary introspection
and accessing of CT* classes done currently by both my own project and
Vaadin-Spreadsheet-Charts.  That would be a serious problem, as I'm having
to walk a very fine line already with them - they don't dedicate a lot of
resources, and I'm having to do all the heavy lifting, but I'm a one-person
operation, in charge of all of development and IT for my employer.  The
project using POI is only supposed to be half my time :)

Without testing it, I don't know yet how extensive the changes would be and
how much backward compatibility would be broken, especially given that some
of that compatibility uses reflection to access fields not necessarily
already made public, because not all chart features are accessible from the
POI API.