poi-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Greg Woolsey <greg.wool...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3.17-beta2 vs. 3.17 final?
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2017 21:07:34 GMT
I have a pull request with Vaadin [1] that is currently an echo chamber - I
think the key developer I've been in contact with is on summer holiday.  I
think I found the last bug in my POI code, and the remaining issues with
their integration tests relate to picking up a POI release with that fix
and one other issue that is entirely Vaadin based, a regression of some
form with my changes that I want their help pinning down.  So I think as
far as I'm concerned 3.17 is ready in that respect.  My next set of
submissions that depend on that PR have to do with Excel data table styles,
another esoteric area of the OOXML spec.  I've got that working and tested
in my project, so I think the POI code there is stable as well.

Replacing the chart API feels like a 4.0 thing to me for sure.  And
deprecating the existing classes/API may need to extend longer than 2
releases, similar to what's been done for the CellType change from int to
Enum, just because it's a major breaking change and there are quite a few
projects that use the chart API one way or another, either for creation or
reading.

I'm ready to vote +1 for a 3.17 release candidate this weekend.  I won't be
checking it until Tuesday, though, since I'm 2 miles from the US solar
eclipse path of totality, and we have guests from the UK arriving...

[1]  https://github.com/vaadin/spreadsheet/pull/595

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 1:42 PM Andreas Beeker <kiwiwings@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> when do you know, if your chances are ok for Vaadin?
>
> if that is accepted, I would like to release 3.17 final and then switch to
> 4.0 (jdk7) -
> IIRC we discussed to immediately release 4.0-beta1 - is this correct /
> does it make sense?
>
> Regarding the API changes - I haven't checked the pull requests, but I
> usually don't mind the changes to XSLF.
> And about XSSF, we still can decide to deprecate the existing chart api in
> 4.0.
>
> So if no-one minds, I would prepare a release candidate on Sunday ...
>
> Andi
>
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message