poi-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Gribov <gros...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: POI 4.0 and Java 8
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2017 17:11:05 GMT
Hi, folks.

IIRC we moved to jdk7 somewhere around 1.9-1.10. Primary issue was not to
break downstream libraries and projects of course. Same as before we will
have to make at least two releases after decision about such a migration
(to announce java 7 support deprecation in first release and migrate on
next one).

Since Oracle jdk7 get EOL status in 2015, it seems ok to migrate to jdk8 to
me. We originally discussed it as a minor goal for 2.x but its release time
frame isn't clear and, I guess, wouldn't be clear in next several months at
least.

I'd like to know what other PMCs & devs could say about downstream projects
and migration. Apache Solr requires 1.8 since 6.0 (Apr 2016), so it
wouldn't be an issue to them. Maybe someone could shed some light on other
downstream who isn't on jdk8 yet.

If there's no blockers for that I'm +1 for migrate to java 8.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 1:10 AM Andreas Beeker <kiwiwings@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Tika devs,
>
> at POI, we are about to have a major change in the upcoming version after
> POI 3.17 is out,
> which will be probably in the next week or so.
>
> Up till now we had a discussion [1], about the next Java SE, i.e. Java 7
> or 8,
> and it looks like Java 8 is the preferred version - with the restriction
> on how you'll get along
> with that decision.
>
> In an ideal world you would say, ok we switch to Java 8 too, but I guess
> this won't happen ...
> at least not so fast.
>
> To continue the discussion, I could try to gather a few arguments why it
> would make sense
> to switch, but in the end you also have upstream dependencies to check
> for, e.g. elasticsearch [2].
>
> So I would choose a different approach...:
> - do you have any plans to switch to Java 8? when would that be?
> - if we decide to go on, how much of an impact would that be for Tika (...
> to rely on an older POI version)?
> - any recommendations? maybe something like a mixed versions jar
>
> Thank you,
> Andi
>
> [1]
> http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/Discussions-on-POI-4-0-Java7-8-voting-td5728560.html