poi-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Beeker <kiwiwi...@apache.org>
Subject Discussions on POI 4.0 / Java7/8 voting
Date Sun, 20 Aug 2017 23:06:00 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to add a note to the final announcement about the JDK change and
link a vote thread to it.

We've discussed about Java 7 [4], but as a few projects around us already have
switched to Java 8 [1], I want an official vote about Java 7/8.
As I anticipate a bit of controversy on this, I want to discuss first and then
have a separate vote thread to be linked to from the announcement.

Up till now I have 3 questions to vote -
is there anything else, we should vote on for version 4.0?
For the sake of simplicity, they aren't in the -1/0/1 response format.

a) Is the next version 4.0 or do we have a 3.18?
b) Which will be the next Java SE 7 or 8?

The guidelines [2] are actually clear about this, but I'll ask that anyway:
c) Will you join an opposing majority?

Here are my votes:
a) 4.0
b) JDK8
c) yes

Regarding b)
As we have a major break here and Java 7 is already at EOL [3], I'd like to
use the opportunity to fast forward. When I look through a few rendering/AWT
related bugs which occur in Java 6, I often see those are only fixed in Java 8.
I have the impression, that dependent libraries/products either are dependent on
older features and therefore can stick with 3.17 ... or they have already a
current Java 8 compatible version out.

To make up you mind, check [5] for a different stance on EOL/upgrading.
For a quantitative list of POI dependencies check [6]

Andi

[1]
http://ant.apache.org/antnews.html#Apache Ant 1.9.8 and 1.10.0
http://apache-xml-project.6118.n7.nabble.com/Java-2-1-0-release-td43800.html