From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: PSML_02 branch status & new customizer
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2001 16:42:41 GMT
Steve Freeman wrote:

> You're confusing portlet content with the content consisting solely of a
> selection of portlets.
>
> Portlets and their associated data sources manage the content *of* the
> portlets.  I was not speaking of this part of the picture.
>
> The configurator manages the portlet content of (read: the portlets that
> are selected for) the page that is viewed.  This is the aspect to which I
> referred.

You give me an idea: We could use the RDF framework to have each portlet delivering
meta information about itself.

For custom portlets it could be either a parameter or an attached file, or generated by the
portlet.
For generic portlets (like RSS portlets) it could be generated or taken directly from the
source channel.

Something like

InputSource portlet.getMetaInfoSource() ---> already parsed or generated
String portlet.getMetaInfo() ---> formatted as a RDF XML file.

They would return something like the following:
<rdf:RDF
    xmlns:rdf = "http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
    xmlns:ocs = "http://alchemy.openjava.org/ocs/directory#"
    xmlns:dc  = "http://purl.org/metadata/dublin_core#">
<rdf:description
about="res:org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.NewRSSPortlet/http://p.moreover.com/xxx">

        <dc:title>Moreover OCS Directory</dc:title>
         <dc:creator>Moreover
(mailto:categorypage@moreover.com)</dc:creator>
         <dc:language>en</dc:language>
</rdf:RDF>

Does it make sense for you?

So, essentially, the customizer would be an extra feed :-)