From clomb...@netscape.net
Subject Re: PSML_02 branch status & new customizer
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2001 09:00:08 GMT
>there's still something that needs to be done in
> order to provide a customizable content view to the user.

I think the sub-project Slide from Jakarta can be used at 2 different levels :
1. Define/store the meta-data used for the jetspeed customizer
2. Use Slide API into a "specific" portlet for the "end-user" content management.

For the current issue ( the customizer ), I think Slide can solved who can access to what.
I mean : who can access to this portlet or portlet sets. All information in the Slide repository
are organized in a tree. This tree should be interesting to classify the available portlets.
We can see this tree like a big portlet catalog/index and can be store in different way (XML,
db, or any other kind of stores). For all items in this tree (in our case portlet items or
portlet directories), Slide give a way to defined your own secutity rules + versionning, locking,
... . Later, Slide will implement different "process" & search features. If I understand,
when a specific action occur in the Slide repository, you can trigger a process.
For example, it should be possible when you will add a new portlet in the portal, you can
send a mail to different users.

The same engine (Slide) can be used for the second issue : the  "end-user" CMS. I'm building
specific portlets that will give an access to the complete Slide content repository.

More and more I'm using Turbine, Jetspeed & Slide, more and more I think that all these
projects should be link together (obviously by abstraction) for building a complete portal.

Christophe