From Raphaël Luta <raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com>
Subject RE: PSML_02 branch status & new customizer
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2001 18:07:43 GMT
At 08:17 07/03/2001 -0800, you wrote:
> > I've currently on my coputer a complete interface based Object Model
> > for the confgiuration objects (created from PSML2 files).
>
>LOA (lots of applause) :)

You'll do that when it actually wroks... ;)

> > They're ready to
> > commit, except for the javadoc documentation.
> >
>Why don't you commit to the branch? I'd very much like to see it

I don't want to commit something without a single comment line in the CVS,
even a branch, as it would be very difficult for people to figure what it's
about...

> > Once the OM is committed, I think it would be great if
> > someone could start
> > thinking on a new customizer based on this OM (especially
> > writing mockup
> > templates while I finish the base classes implementation)
> > I like the Pull methodology :)
>
>I can give it a try.

OK

> > One issue I don't know how to deal with yet with the customizer is:
> > how can a user search for a new portlet to add to his page ?
>
>Another approach: portlets would have 'category attributes' in the registry.
>When searching, you would check the attributes for a match, like <meta>tags

I'm not sure what kind of categories you can affect to:
RSSPortlet
XSLPortlet
SQLPortel

All these are simply gateways to external content systems and it's not possible
to categorize them whitout foreknowledge of the content they can access...

>Im also thinking of a 'portlet lookup' page.
>The lookup page would display a table of all available templates
>
>+--------------------------------------------------------
>+ Portlet   |  Description   |  Categories
>+--------------------------------------------------------
>
>The user could sort and filter the list by criteria such as the category.
>When a portlet is selected, the user would be returned to the customizer
>page,
>and the portlet would be placed on the page.

Yes, it's a possible implementation. I don't think I'm enough of an "end user"
to make a statement of the ease of use and intuitivenenss of such a system.

Maybe this subject should be brought up in the jetspeed-user list, now that we
have one...

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael.luta@networks.groupvu.com
Vivendi Universal Networks - Services Manager / Paris